Freelance Writer/Editor, Event/Market Organiser, Consultant
+27-21-788-8088 (O), +27-866 706 741 (Fax), +27-83-3329785 (Mobile), firstname.lastname@example.org
Po Box 288, Muizenberg, 7950
Writing (newspaper, magazine, web, marketing, corporate, internal communications, radio & film/TV scripts, textbooks, PR & copywriting); sub-editing & editing; event organisation & management (specifically markets); project conceptualisation & management, photography, illustration, radio production & presenting, management
To facilitate, inform, inspire, motivate and promote using my communication and organisational skills in a creative, constantly evolving and challenging environment.
Things that motivate and inspire me:
My daughter Safiya, ideas, trends, music, art & design, architecture, ‘green’ living, travel, books & magazines, films, food & lifestyle, knowledge, intelligence, humour, health & personal growth, entrepreneurship, creativity, healthy living.
- Date of Birth: 04.11.1971
- Marital Status: Married
- Dependents: One daughter
- Driver’s Licence: Code 08, LMV
- Languages: English & Afrikaans
1997 – Current: Holistic Living & Design, Cape Town
Since mid-1997 I have worked as a freelance writer, and as a freelance editor/sub-editor since 2003, mainly writing copy and features on subjects including human performance and motivation, travel, lifestyle and design, entrepreneurship and business, ICT, corporate social investment, biographical profiles and health.
In 2006 I was asked by Pearson education (Maskew-Miller Longman) to author a book in the FET College series: ‘Business Practice’ Level 2, Grade 10, published 2007.
Since 2006 I have also done extended periods of contract work as a senior copywriter for the Achievement Awards Group in Westlake, Cape Town, specialising in the field of human performance improvement (incentive programmes).
From May 2009 to January 2010 I did media liaison for the Muizenberg Improvement District (MID), and I have been an elected volunteer committee member of the False Bay Business and Tourism Association (2007, 2008, & 2009), the Kalk Bay Community Centre Steering Committee (2009/2010), and the Observatory Community and Recreation Centre Steering Committee (since 2006), primarily dealing with the events/marketing/fundraising portfolios of these committees.
The other main companies I have done work for during this period are Cape Media Publications (Leadership, Opportunity, Black Business Quarterly, Achiever, Blue Chip, Explore South Africa), Trialogue Publications (CSI Handbook, e-Business Handbook), Mafube Publishers (Enterprise Magazine), Isikhova (SA Jewellery News), Virgin (Virgin Life Care), and Independent Newspapers (Commercial Features).
Besides doing media releases, investigative pieces, reviews and pure reporting, I have written many commercial features (advertorials), and marketing/direct marketing, general public relations and internal communication pieces, and I also do writing for the web and social media applications. I’ve helped sub Leadership and Explore magazines, and assisted with proofing the 2003/2004 e-Business Handbook.
Event organiser: Since 1997 I have also run a small company specialising in lifestyle-related markets/exhibitions and promotion, including: the Observatory Holistic Lifestyle Fair; the Kalk Bay Fresh etc Market; the Vintage & Collectibles Fair (Old Biscuit Mill, Woodstock); the Muizenberg Community Festival; the Muizenberg Kite Festival; Observatory Festival; Noordhoek Farm Village Craft Market; the Lifestyles on Kloof Food Market; and the Art of Living Farmers’ Market.
Responsibilities include media liaison, public relations, marketing, administration, client liaison, strategic planning, and conceptualisation. I also consult for clients (such as the Home Improvers’ Expo, V & A Waterfront, Artscape Theatre, Lifestyles on Kloof) wishing to incorporate lifestyle, markets and healthy living into their operations.
1998-2001: Bush Radio Community Radio Station, Cape Town
Assistant producer, volunteer. I received training as a presenter and producer at Bush, and worked there on a part-time volunteer basis as the assistant producer of a live weekly children’s show in 2000. I also assisted with the production of several shows on health issues. I represented Bush Radio on a trip to the UK in 2000, visiting community radio stations and media organisations there. I also attended, as a Bush representative, a local cross-cultural seminar with delegates from Northern Ireland, organised by the Cape Town Trauma Centre, on the effects of violence on the development of young people.
1996-1997: Wright & Nuttall Advertising (WNA), Cape Town
Through-the-line senior copywriter. I worked with two art directors and a creative director on a range of above- and below-the-line and direct-mail advertising, including: print, radio, cinema, television, mailers, brochures, leave-behinds, in-store material, competition/promotional material, detail aids, dosage indication cards etc. A range of accounts, mainly pharmaceutical.
1993-1996: 3-D Advertising (then Publicis), Cape Town
Below-the-line junior copywriter. Design and promotions activity: packaging, promotions & competitions, radio spots, print leaflets, internal-company reports, newsletters, editing & proofing, layout with designers. A wide range of accounts, including blue-chip FMCG corporates.
1993: Leisureplan, CD-ROM Publisher, Cape Town
Editor, PR Writer. At this CD-ROM development company catering for the travel and leisure industry, I assisted with the management and recruitment of an editing staff (as well as overseeing the staff, editing and proofing myself), wrote a company brochure and advertisements, did PR writing for the company, liaised with clients, assisted with the development of questionnaires and work schedules, did extensive data-capturing and scanning of photographs for DTP.
- BA – English & Psychology Majors (University of Natal, Durban; University of Port Elizabeth)
- Other subjects: Linguistics, Philosophy, Sociology, Afrikaans-Nederlands (6 firsts, 13 upper seconds, 1 second)
- Entertainment & Culture Writer: Dome University Newspaper
Part-time Post-graduate Qualifications
- Copywriting (AAA School of Advertising)
- Freelance Journalism (Cape Technikon Professional Short Course)
- Scriptwriting for Film & Television (Cape Technikon Professional Short Course)
- Radio Production & Presenting (Bush Radio)
- Basic Photography (CityVarsity)
- Web Communication: electronic Paper (Stellenbosch University Language Centre)
- Designing & Writing Web Texts (Stellenbosch University Language Centre)
- Writing for the Media (Level I) (Stellenbosch University Language Centre)
- Writing Literature for Children Workshop (Maskew Miller Longman Publishers)
- Using Graphic Design to Communicate Effectively (Stellenbosch University Language Centre)
- Children’s Book Illustration (Stellenbosch University’s CCIBA: Centre for Comic, Illustrative and Book Arts)
- Leveraging the power of the internet workshop (hosted by the Inspiring Women Network)
- Personal Growth and Counselling Skills Courses (Lifeline)
- Gave birth naturally at home without painkillers (water birth, November 2007)!
- Hiked 320km of the El Camino in 3 weeks (pilgrimage walk through Spain, also called the Santiago de Compostella, May 2004)
- Hiked to Havasupai Falls in the the Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA (June 2001)
- Selected to represent Bush Radio in UK on a British Council-sponsored fact-finding trip (February 2000)
- Winnifred Wilson Bursary (1991 & 1992)
- Durban City Council Bursary (1991 & 1992)
- Afrikaans-Nederlands Academic Achievement Prize (1991)
- Dean’s Commendation (1990)
- Emma Smith Bursary (1990)
- Honours for Academics (1989)
- Confident and mature
- Excellent communication skills (spoken, written & visual)
- Pay close attention to detail: systematic, thorough and highly organised
- Voracious appetite for knowledge – excellent research capabilities
- High level of interest in global affairs and trends
- Well-informed/wide general knowledge
- Work well under pressure, alone or in a group
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills
- Decisive and practical, yet lateral thinking
- Highly adaptable/flexible – solutions-oriented
- Enjoy challenges, variety and taking responsibility for self and others
- Excellent management abilities – especially WRT groups of people
Karen Jordi – Ex-manager, Muizenberg Improvement District (2009-2010): 076 9003171
Betty Kayton – Ex sub-editor, Special Projects, Independent Newspapers: 082 4850918
Barry Kayton – Founder, Thunderbolt Thinkers: 082 8178531
Ian Davidson – CEO, Generator Communications: 082 4523767
Zane Ibrahim – Retired Station Manager, Bush Radio: email@example.com or (021) 448 5450 or 083 2707881
Roger Ingarfield – Creative Director, Achievement Awards Group: 021 700 2300